You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Friday, November 26, 2010

Ghostbusters: Gettin' some wheels, but not Ecto-1

I looked up the Hallmark Ecto-1 ornament; It's just about impossible to find one cheaper than $30. If I could see one in my hand next to one of my figures, and it looked good, I'd purchase one. But I don't want to spend that much on something that just might be too small or too large.

Modelers and wargamers debate whether 1:43 scale is too large or just right. By scale, they are too large, but I have a few of Matchbox's Models of Yesteryear, and I think they "look" good. So I went tromping through eBay to see what I could see. First off, my goal was not to necessarily find a car that could be Ecto-2; I just wanted to find some modern wheels for either my Ghostbusters OR my paranormal investigators. Second, I need the car to be relatively cheap so that my purchase won't break me if I buy a lemon. Really, for now, my only use for the car will be to mark the starting area for the ghostbusters/investigators on the map or terrain. It also just helps me to complete the "set." When I do some of these sets of figures, I want to make sure everything is there that  would be needed to play a full game: Figures, accessories, vehicles, smaller pieces of themed terrain -- see this image of my 28mm cavemen for an example of what I mean by "set." The Ghostbuster's set won't be as extensive, but it includes everything I need to play a game (based on the Tusk rules.)

Well, after that long-winded intro: I decided on a 1:43 scale Volvo S80 by Minichamps. It's modern, it only cost me $14 (including shipping), and I used to drive a Volvo, not an S80, but a 1984 240 DL. I REALLY wanted a '84 240 at this scale, but, like many of the other vehicles, I couldn't find one that wasn't upwards of $50. Ugh. Anyway, here's a pic:
I'm not going to do too much to it. I might hit it with some matte varnish to kill the gloss and "age" the car a bit. Drybrush some mud spatter along the bottom half (you gotta drive through a lot of dark woods as a paranormal investigator.) Maybe I'll add a little bit of rust behind the rear wheel (just like my old Volvo.)

If I get really energetic, maybe I'll tear it up and rebuild it as a smaller "Ecto" vehicle with not as much ghostbusting equipment strapped to it, maybe just a modified cargo carrier on the roof. 
I also looked for a station wagon of any sort, but again, nothing was cheap enough for my tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment