You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Monday, April 25, 2011

Next project: 54mm Qwik

So I've been thinking about what to do next. I know, I know; I said I would paint up some villains to go with my D&D core class figures, but that's before I saw that this came out: Qwik, Game of the Wasteland (by my favorite game designer Two Hour Wargames.)

One of the nice things about this game is that there are (very nice) minis specifically designed for it! But they are 15mm. Perfect size for those who want to play a game on the kitchen table (with space to spare), but sometimes I like to go big. I looked at 28mm options, and there were some good ones (Dark Age miniatures, Privateer Press), but it got pricey (even though all you need is 5 figures per team). Well, I didn't want to do 15mm, and if I was going to spend money on 28mm, I might as well scale up for a few dollars more and go 54mm.

In that course, I discovered the game could be played in a pure fantasy setting -- well, heck, I have 54mm cavemen (my Waiteri tribe). I could just use them to play the game. Then I remembered how much I enjoyed making those figures. And I want to make more, but this time for a post-apocalyptic setting. How hard would that be? My tentative plan is to just make another tribe of cavemen, but this time give them little extras such as gas masks, modern melee weapons (pipes, axes, sledgehammers, crowbars), armor, a chainsaw, and weird masks (think Brom), yet still be in loin cloths and warpaint. (And maybe, just maybe make a mutant or two.)

I still want to play the game before I commit. But even if I don't like playing the game, I think it still might be fun to convert some 54s to a primitive post-apoc tribe. They could be a rival to the Waiteri.
Apocs versus Waiteri. (I think I have a Qwik team/new tribal name, but let's spell it with an "x": Apox ((oh boy, and it's a pun! :)

UPDATE: I placed my order. I decided that even if I don't play the game, I know I will enjoy converting these figures into some post-apoc characters; My Waiteri tribe was one of my favorite all-time projects to actually do. By the way, these are the figures I'm taking about.

5 comments:

  1. And if you don't like it, you could always use Mutants and Death Ray Guns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, from the read up, it sounds like the game from "Salute of the Jugger" that dodgy Rutger Haur movie.

    Shame theres no pics of the game, it does sound interesting nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken: Indeed!

    Karitas: That's exactly what the game is about (or inspired by).
    You can find a couple pics of the 15mm figures available here: http://miniaturereview.blogspot.com/2011/04/quik.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds awesome, I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see what I come with, either :)

    With the cavemen, I actually had a rough plan sketched out on paper. With these new ones, I think I'll just freeform each figure as it comes onto my table in order. I HAVE been looking at some Brom art and thinking of different elements and weapons I could (try to) make.

    ReplyDelete