You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Sunday, September 17, 2017

Where I've been (Plus: Tokaido!)

The short version
Met a woman. Moved in with her. We paint, we game, we love.

Long version
My prolific blogging on the past stemmed from the fact that I had a dedicated space for photographing completed minis. My girlfriend (her name is Elizabeth) will let me have that space in our home, but with all the new distractions (we love to play board games together!) I just hadn't gotten around to setting it up. I did have the day off and took some photos of a few projects completed in the past few months (not a lot of figures from what I'm used to, but the painting slowly but surely continues.) So I'll be putting together a few posts over the next week catching you all up to at least my more recent projects.

By the way, I do get email notifications if anyone comments on my blog, so I still reply to questions and queries here, so feel free to comment on anything on the blog, no matter how old the post; I'll see it :)

TOKAIDO


One of the wonderful things about Elizabeth is her willingness to take on new creative hobbies. I introduced her to minis painting, and the first thing she painted were most of these figures for Tokaido. I had intended to paint most of them, letting her choose two or three favorites to paint, but she ended up painting a lot of these while I was at work. It was a pleasant surprise to see her progress through these.

I prepared the figures the same as I do for all plastic figures: Prime with Army Painter (I prefer black), brush on a layer of black craft paint (Delta Cermacoat) to add some tooth and to provide an easy-to-see matte surface, paint as usual. We used the character cards from the game for reference and painted the figures using those colors. The figures turned out great and really take on a quality that fits the look of the game. Elizabeth did great.

We're both looking forward to the soon-to-be-released Matsuri figures for Tokaido -- another set of 16 figures. I expect Elizabeth will paint most of those, too. I have no problem with that :)

By the way, here's the new set-up. Still much the same, and nice and cozy:





11 comments:

  1. I have ALWAYS loved the content on this blog. I'd rather know you're happy than see a ton of new stuff here.

    You found a flipping unicorn, take care of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely painted Tokaido figures.
    It is a great game, I had not heard of the forthcoming figures tell me more...
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely painted Tokaido figures.
    It is a great game, I had not heard of the forthcoming figures tell me more...
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the second set of figures that were unlocked via the kickstarter. I preordered mine via Miniature Market:
      https://www.miniaturemarket.com/fnftkdmatmin01.html

      Delete
  4. The big romantic in me goes awwwwww.
    The wargamer in me says if you clean those circular paint things and put tin foil over the top, smooth it into the recesses you have a disposable cleaning pallet.Saw this somewhere on the interweb, can't find it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work by Elizabeth on the minis and congratulations to you both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see you back. Tokaido is a great game and I keep meaning to paint the miniatures but I haven't got round to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, great to see you back! Those Tokaido figures turned out very nicely, she should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finding a girl that didn't roll her eyes at my hobby 30 plus years ago was hard enough, and that girl who has been my Wife for said 30 plus years is still supportive. Times have changed and more women have come into our fold, you are a lucky man sir to have found not only love but someone who shares your love for the hobby. A fortunate man you are indeed. Congrats:)

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Tokaido miniatures look wonderful. Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete